S. Dillon Ripley & "Uncle Beazley"
@ Smithsonian Archives - History Div
Unknown Anacostia Community Museum Anacostia Neighborhood Museum
DescriptionHistoric Images of the SmithsonianMore information about the opening of the Anacostia Neighborhood Museum can be found in the Annual Report for 1968. A copy can also be found in Accession 97-003, Box 1.Secretary S. Dillon Ripley (1964-1984) and unidentified children with "Uncle Beazley," the dinosaur (Triceratops) used in the film "The Enormous Egg," at the opening of the Anacostia Neighborhood Museum on September 15, 1967. Uncle Beazley was placed in the parking lot adjoining the Carver Theater, the site of the first Anacostia Museum. The museum, located at 1901 Fort Place, S.E., Washington, D.C, is now known as the Anacostia Community Museum. Uncle Beazley was later moved to the Mall in front of the National Museum of Natural History and then to the National Zoological Park.Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 9538, Box 1: John Kinard Oral History InterviewInstitutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
Color: Black And White; Size: 10w X 8h; Type Of Image: Group, Candid; Object; Event; Medium: Photographic Print