Skip to main content

Demolition of the Athenaeum Club, Baltimore

@ Enoch Pratt Free Library / State Library Resource Center


Photograph of the demolition of the Athenaeum Club located on the northeast corner of Charles and Franklin Streets in Baltimore, Maryland. Built in 1830 by the son of General John Eager Howard, a Revolutionary War hero and politician, the Club featured columned porticos topped with a triangular pediment in the Greek revival style. At the building's razing in 1910, its porticos were saved from destruction by J. Alexis Shriver, a businessman, who had them removed to Olney, his home in Harford County. There they were eventually incorporated into an all-marble porch facing the Olney farmland. Several African American workers are involved in the demolition of the Club.
Digital Reproduction Of 1 Black And White Photograph, 20 X 19 Cm.
View Original At:

Record Contributed By

Enoch Pratt Free Library / State Library Resource Center

Record Harvested From

Digital Maryland