The battle ground at Germantown. Cliveden or Chew's House
@ The Library Company of Philadelphia
DescriptionPeriodical illustration depicting an exterior view of the Philadelphia house and grounds, completed in 1767, of Penn family lawyer, attorney general, and Chief Justice Benjamin Chew occupied and used as a fortification by retreating British troops on October 4, 1777. On the grounds in the foreground, a boy and an African American servant exchange a book.; Engraved by A.L. Dick; Painted expressly for Godey's Magazine by Russell Smith.; Plate from: Godey's Lady Book, December, 1844.(LCP Per G43).