Skip to main content

Groundbreaking of the New Anacostia Museum

@ Smithsonian Archives - History Div

Anderson, Rhawn Blake, John Hutchinson, Louise Daniel King, Ann Mayo, James (Jim) Stanton, Robert Cook, Addie Anacostia Community Museum Anacostia Neighborhood Museum


Historic Images of the SmithsonianFeatured in the Torch, July 1985Ceremonial groundbreaking at 1901 Fort Place, S.E., Washington, D.C., in May 1985, for the Anacostia Neighborhood Museum (AM), renamed the Anacostia Museum in 1987. In 1995 the Museum was renamed Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture. After the Smithsonian launched its new National Museum of African American History and Culture, the Museum was renamed Anacostia Community Museum in 2006. Left to right: Museum Historian Louise Hutchinson (AM), Robert Stanton (National Park Service), John Blake (chair of AM board), Ann King (former president of Fort Stanton Citizens Association[FSCA]), James Mayo (ANM exhibit supervisor), Addie Cook (FSCA president), AM Director John Kinard and Secretary Robert McCormick Adams. The museum opened in the Carver Theater building in 1967.Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 371, Box 4, Folder: July 1985Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520,
Color: Black And White; Size: 10w X 8h; Type Of Image: Event; Group; Medium: Photographic Print
View Original At:

Record Contributed By

Smithsonian Archives - History Div

Record Harvested From

Smithsonian Institution