Skip to main content

The London Coffee House

@ The Library Company of Philadelphia


Exterior view showing the coffee house and merchants' exchange during the colonial era at the southwest corner of Front and Market streets in Philadelphia. A slave auction occurs outside the coffee house and pedestrians traverse the sidewalks. Partial view of the adjacent printing house of "Pennsylvania Journal" publisher, William Bradford, is visible. Erected in 1702 and established as a coffee house in 1754 by Bradford, the site was a public center for social and economic activities during the later 18th century, including slave auctions. Razed in 1883.; Published in John F. Watson's Annals of Philadelphia and Pennsylvania, in the olden time:....Embellished with engravings, by T.H. Mumford (Philadelphia, 1844), vol.1 and later editions.; After wash study by Edward Mumford.

Record Contributed By

The Library Company of Philadelphia

Record Harvested From

PA Digital