Skip to main content

Ruins of the Hall

@ The Library Company of Philadelphia

Gilbert, Reuben S


Depicts the burnt ruin of the abolitionist meeting place at Sixth and Haines Streets in Philadelphia. The hall, erected in 1838 as an arena for "free discussion", was set aflame by hostile mobs on May 17, 1838 after 3 days of interracial dedication ceremonies and services. The ruin continued to stand until the Odd Fellows Society built a hall on the lot in 1846.; R.S. Gilbert, Sc.; J.A. Woodside, Jr., Delt.; Title from P. Lee Phillip's, "A Descriptive List of Maps and Views of Philadelphia in the Library of Congress, 1683-1865 (Philadelphia: Geographical Society of Philadelphia, 1926), p. 49.; Originally published in: [Samuel Webb's], History of Pennsylvania Hall. (Philadelphia: Printed by Merrihew and Gun, 1838). Last page contains advertisement for a limited supply of larger frameable versions of the plate to be sold at the Anti-Slavery Office, No. 29 N. 9th Street, in Philadelphia.

Record Contributed By

The Library Company of Philadelphia

Record Harvested From

PA Digital