@ Atlanta History Center
DescriptionView of a group of students outside Booker T. Washington High School in the West End neighborhood of Atlanta, Georgia during an address by Mrs. Gertrude Nabrit regarding students entries into a health essay contest promoted by the Atlanta Anti-Tuberculosis Association (later named Atlanta Lung Association).Consumption (Disease);The Atlanta Lung Association, (A.L.A.) was established in 1907 by the Fulton County Medical Society, and was first called the Fulton Sanitary and Tuberculosis Prevention Society. Over the years, the organization changed names several times. From 1909 to 1933 it was called Atlanta Anti-Tuberculosis and Visiting Nurse Association. From 1933 to 1951 it was called Atlanta Anti-Tuberculosis Association. From 1951 to 1973 it was called Atlanta Tuberculosis Association. Finally, in 1973 the name changed to Atlanta Lung Association. The A.L.A. was among the first organizations in Atlanta to offer treatment of tuberculosis to those unable to obtain sanatorium care. Another such organization was the Home Treatment Dispensary, which was administered by private charities. In 1909 the two organizations merged and formed the Atlanta Anti Tuberculosis and Visiting Nurse Association and established their headquarters on the top floor of the Gould building on Decatur Street. Private donations, fund-raising and city and county funds sustained the Association which served both white and black patients. It emphasized health education, early detection, and provided clinic and home care for the indigent and was staffed with paid professionals and volunteers. Atlanta physicians donated medical support in the clinics. During its time in operation, the national death rate from tuberculosis...
Please contact holding institution for information regarding use and copyright status.