New market, in South Second Street Philadelphia
@ The Library Company of Philadelphia
W. Birch & Son
DescriptionStreet scene with a view of the New Market shed on South Second Street. Depicts a group of men, women, and children gathered by a bull decorated with garlands of flowers near the shed, possibly a procession of a butcher's trade association. An African American man fiddle player entertains the group as an African American boy runs toward them. Attached to the back of the shed is the fire engine house with cupola, known as the "headhouse." The New Market, erected about 1745, was created following a petition by the growing population of South Philadelphia residents who found it a hardship to cross Dock Creek to reach the High Street Market. The shed was razed in 1956 and rebuilt in 1963.; Drawn, Engraved & Published by W. Birch & Son.; Sold by R. Campbell & Co. No. 30 Chesnut Street Philada.; Title from item.