Academic Building (Athens, Ga.) Holmes-Hunter Academic Building (Athens, Ga.)
@ Owens Library
Owens, Hubert B
DescriptionDigital image of an original slide, scanned and described by the Digital Library of Georgia in 2001-2002.The three-story Holmes-Hunter Academic Building was created in 1905 by the expansion of the two-story Ivy Building (built 1832), a red brick classroom and library building covered in ivy. The University planning engineer, Charles M. Strahan, devised the expansion. The Ivy Building was connected to the Library building using a Corinthian portico with an exposed stairway. In 2001, the Academic building was renamed in honor of Charlayne Hunter and the late Hamilton Holmes, who registered for classes in the building when they became the first African Americans to enroll at UGA in 1961. The building houses the registrar's office, along with offices for the Honors Program, student financial aid, the student affairs division and the Office of Institutional Research and Planning. For more information, see F.N. Boney's A walking tour of the University of Georgia published by the University of Georgia Press in 1989.Located at: University of Georgia, Athens, Ga.Date of structure: 1905.Slide annotated: "Academic Bldg."