Pennsylvania Colonization Society: A view of Bassa Cove in Liberia
@ Library Company of Philadelphia
DescriptionHonorary life membership certificate containing a view of Liberia, the African American colony established by the American Colonization Society in 1822. Depicts three bare-chested blacks near the small village at the West African cove. The Pennsylvania Colonization Society, established in 1826, was a state chapter of the controversial American Colonization Society established in 1816 to promote black American emigration to resolve the problem of race inequality and to end slavery.; Issued to [Tho]mas Sully, Esquire of Philadelphia on October 24, 1848 for his donation of "valuable original portraits." Signed by [Robert B.] Davidson, rec. secretary; Elliot Cresson, corresponding secretary; J.R. Ingersoll, president.; Lehman & Duval was a Philadelphia partnership between painter, lithographer, and engraver George Lehman, and lithographer, Peter S. Duval, that lasted from 1835 until 1837.